Social Media Wrapper

Wednesday 1 June 2011

Welcome

Hi

Thanks for visiting my blog! A quick introduction to me and the blog: I’m 28 and live in London. Like most people, I’ve worn different hats over the years, but I currently work in social housing for a local authority. It’s challenging and rewarding work. The purpose of this blog is to spread the word about one of my deep interests and to chart and shape the adventure I’m planning for the rest of the year.

In my free time, my imagination’s fired with dreams of ice. There’s a big red felt-tip pen ring around 2012 on my wall calendar: the centenary of the death of Captain Scott and four of his men is coming up. I’ve been following with keen interest the roster of events that will mark the anniversary of their passing (http://www.scott100.org/). I’m staggered that already there’s a commemorative event or exhibition scheduled somewhere in the world every day from now until the end of 2012 and beyond.


That's me, on the far right. (Photo credit: Christopher Jones, The Daily Telegraph)
 
I have the absolute privilege to volunteer closely with the organisers of the International Scott Centenary Expedition 2012 (http://www.isce2012.co.uk/). This charity aims to honour and embody the ideals exemplified by Scott and his men, not least of which include their appetite for adventure, courage, comradeship and a sponge-like thirst for scientific knowledge. The charity rolls out a successful polar history and science outreach programme that has already reached 220 schools across the UK. In addition, a sledging party will visit the final resting place of Scott and his companions in early 2012.

Through this blog, I’d like to share with you my passion for Captain Scott’s remarkable life story, and to look at the legacy of his work. I’m not one for moony-eyed hero-worship, though, and would like to touch on various themes and points of interest, including the part that success/failure plays in our lives, the binding power of sea shanties (that Scott’s naval colleagues would swagger through) and modern-day Antarctic culture (an average of 1000 people are settled on Antarctica on any given day).

Also, in the company of friendly readers, I’m finally ready to let out my big secret. Yes, I’m a wannabe explorer. The ISCE2012 has four confirmed sledgers, but the fifth and final place is down to a shortlist of ten – I’m pinching myself that I’m one of these ten. It will come in small doses, but I’ll share details of my training progress and expedition survival tips in the hope that you’ll share right back.

Lastly, and on that note, the best blogs are conversations, so please let me know your thoughts on the site, suggestions/objections, constructive criticisms, training tips and interesting weblinks. What would you like to see? This is my first blog post ever, so I humbly beg for your patience and support while I improve, and look forward to hearing from you!

Best wishes
Ali

2 comments:

  1. Well done! I've never been shortlisted for anything myself. Good luck with the next stage of selection! You sound very focused and your interest is very evident. I will be reading your blog with interest. The subject is fascinating.

    Andre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andre

    Thanks for the encouragement! I'm glad you find it interesting. I find it's a really rich theme that repays a visit/revisit.

    Best wishes
    ali

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Ali is a 28 year old Londoner. He has trained at various things, including tennis playing, biochemistry and bespoke tailoring. He currently works in social housing for a local authority. In his free time, he marinades in Antarctic arcana, runs avidly (middle-distance) and bumbles through music practice. Ali volunteers for the International Scott Centenary Expedition 2012 charity, which aims to honour the legacy of Captain Robert Scott and his four men who died a hundred years ago. Ali is one of ten shortlisted candidates for the final place on the centenary expedition itself.